Vraag

leakage from flat roof or brickwork?

• 10 January 2024
  • 1 reactie
  • 32 Bekeken

• Nieuwe deelnemer
  • 0 reacties

Good afternoon everyone,

First of all, apologies for writing in english. My Dutch is not good enough for this complex topic unfortunately. 

My wife and I have bought a top floor apartment around 3 years ago. Since then we have been struggling with water issues. Most have been resolved but at the back of our house (around the external walls and under the flat roof) we still have water issues.

We are desperate. We have redone the flat roof 2 times now, reinforced a connection between our neighbours roof and ours, done three leakage detections (all bad experiences and expensive)...but still have the problem.

I got frustrated and made a hole myself from the inside to see through the ‘gipsplat’. Indeed it is quite wet, feels breezy but...I cannot tell what the problem is exactly.

Any ideas/suggestions would help a lot.

Thank you,

Adrian Castillo

1 reactie

Reputatie 3

The picture shows that the dormer has a roof drain on both sides. I believe the roof is covered with roofing belt. The connection between the roof drain and the roofing belt is of age and is not waterproof anymore. That water is leaking slowly through loosened roofing felt on both corners, maybe a tear of a few inches, but then water starts spreading. When finished give the wood a good chance to dry for some weeks, otherwise mold will develop. 

The drain pipe can stay but that a piece of roofing felt is cut away and a new piece is melted on the roof combined with a new roof drain. The rubbers of the windowframe are getting loose too, so while you are there they should be renewed where they are loose. 

I had a similiar situation. It was insured but they only payed the consequential damage, not the renewal of the roofing felt. But other insurances will differ.

In the middel of the top there is a ventilation grille. That is enough for the whole room. For the subscribed amount of ventilation it is not necessary to open the two windows below for about two inches each. You can do that in the summer, but in the winter you needlesly loose a lot of heating.

Reageer